The Institute admits Applicants into its Membership upon meeting all terms and conditions. The admission routes are as follows:
- i. Foundational Examination Route
- ii. Professional Examination Route
- iii. HR Practitioners Route
- iv. Executive Route
- v. Upgrade application from Associate to Full Membership
- vi. Upgrade from Full Member to Fellowship
i. Foundational Examination Route
The minimum educational requirement for Student Admission into Foundational Level is the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) with credits in five subjects, which must include English Language and Mathematics. This also accommodates holders of Ordinary National Diploma (OND) and/or its equivalent.
At the end of the programme, Applicants admitted through this Route shall be awarded Foundation Trainee Certificate in Human Resource Management (FTCHRM).
Applicants apply (hyperlink apply) online and an admission letter is issued online to successful candidates within 48 hours, except on weekends and public holidays. Certain exemptions shall be given to OND and NCE holders in Management/Social Science Studies.
ii. Professional Examination Route
The minimum Educational Requirement for Student Admission is the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) with credit in five subjects, which must include English Language and Mathematics. Ordinary pass in either English Language or Mathematics may be considered for Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree/Higher National Diploma.
At the end of the programme, Applicants admitted through this route shall be awarded Associate Membership Certificate of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (ACIPM).
Applicants apply (hyperlink apply) online and an Admission Letter is issued online to successful Candidates within 48 hours, except on weekends and public holidays.
- i. Requirements for Admission to different Tertiary Institutions differ based on the Academic Credentials approved by the Senate of recognized institutions.
- ii. Different Tertiary Institutions place different Courses under different Faculties as approved by their Senates. Therefore, in taking exemption decisions, the Institute shall tie the Academic Certificates supplied by each Candidate to the Faculties under which their Courses of Studies have been placed in the respective Tertiary Institution.
Examination Stages and Required Qualifications
a. Foundational Level
- i. Foundation I – At least SSCE
- ii. Foundation II – SSCE holders 30years and above and OND/NCE in Management/Social Science studies.
b. Professional Level
- i. Intermediate I – B.Sc. in Pure Science and other Science Related Discipline (Medicine, Botany, Computer Science, Mathematics etc.)
- ii. Intermediate II – B.Sc. in Management Sciences, Social Sciences etc., Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, LLB etc. MSC in Pure Science Discipline.
- iii. Professional I – M.Sc. Management Sciences, Social Sciences, MBA, M.Phil, PHD etc. Associate Certificate by Examination only, of other relevant and recognized Institutes.
- iv. Professional II (Upon graduation from Professional I)
Admission Letters shall be issued to all successful Applicants. Unsuccessful Applicants shall also be informed.
iii. Application through the HR Practitioners' Route
The HR Practitioners’ Route is specially designed for Human Resource/Administrative Practitioners at Advisory/Management Level in a structured and recognized organization.
Criteria for Application Through the HR Practitioners' Route
- i. Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree/HND or its equivalent.
- ii. Minimum of seven (7) years post-graduation experience (Not inclusive of the one (1) year mandatory NYSC service), five (5) of which must be in Human Resource/Administrative.
- iii. Currently employed and occupying a position not less than Supervisor/Manager or its equivalent in the Private Sector or Grade Level 10 in the Public Sector.
- iv. Demonstrable cognate experience and competence in at least five (5) of the following core areas of Human Resource Management.
- v. Record of attendance at five (5) relevant Human Resource Management Courses/Programmes or other related Management Training Programmes in the last seven (7) years to ensure that the Applicants appreciate the need for continuing Professional Development.
- vi. Two Reference details MUST be provided as part of the Application Process (one of the References must be supplied by the current/most recent Employer/Line Manager).
- vii. Applicants who meet the above criteria (following assessment by the Institute and the approval of Leadership) would be required to participate in a 2-day programme titled: "Contemporary Human Resource Management Practice: Issues and Challenges".
- viii. Successful Applicants shall then be inducted as Associate Members of the Institute.
iv. Application through Executive Route
The Executive Route is specially designed for Chief Executive Officers, Directors, Permanent Secretaries, Team Leads and Senior Managers in Human Resource/Administrative practice in a structured and recognized organization.
Criteria for Executive Route
- i. Minimum of Bachelor’s degree/HND or its equivalent.
- ii. Minimum of twelve (12) years post-graduation experience (Not inclusive of the one (1) year mandatory NYSC Service), six (6) years core HR/Administrative experience, five (5) of which must be at Senior Management/Executive Level AND in a Cross-Functional Management Role.
- iii. Currently employed and occupying a position not less than Functional Lead, Senior Specialist, Senior HR Consultant, etc or its equivalent in the Private Sector or Grade Level 15 in the Public Sector.
- iv. Record and evidence of successful completion of strategic projects in the management/development of Human Resource with ability to clearly communicate these achievements.
- v. Demonstrable cognate experience and competence in at least six (6) in core areas of Human Resource Management.
- vi. Record of attendance at five (5) relevant Human Resource Management courses/programmes or other related Management training programmes in the last five years OR must have published a number of HR Journal Articles or other HR Publications in a recognized Academic or Professional Media.
- vii. Two Reference details MUST be provided as part of the Application Process (one of the References must be supplied by the current/most recent Employer/Line Manager).
- viii. Applicants who meet the above criteria (following assessment by the Institute) will be invited for an interactive session (Mandatory Experiential Interview).
- ix. Upon successful assessment at the interview and approval by the Leadership, Applicants would then be required to participate in a one-day Mandatory Programme titled: “Strategic Human Resource Management Master Class” as part of the Admission Process.
- x. Successful Applicants shall be inducted as Full Members of the Institute.
Approvals/Denials of Application
- a. Examination Route
- i. Approval
Applications supported with all required information shall be assessed and approved within 48hrs at the end which an Admission Letter would be sent to the Applicant.
- ii. Denial
Applications with insufficient information/supportive documentations (e.g. Name, Email, Phone number, Academic Credentials) shall be denied. Such Applicant shall be informed via email within 48hours. Applicants shall provide information/documentations before Application shall be reassessed and approved.
- b. HR Practitioners' Route
- i. Approval
a. Applications with all required information shall be acknowledged within 48hours. Applications that meet the pre-defined requirements shall be assessed and approved.
- ii. Denial
a. Applications with insufficient information/supportive documentation (e.g. Name, Email, Phone number, Academic credentials, 5 HR related Training Certificates) shall be denied. Decisions shall be communicated to such Applicants within 48hours.
b. Where the Applicant does not provide the required information/ documentations within the given time, he/she would be advised to apply through the Professional Examination Route.
Payments and Confirmation of Payments
All Application fees are non-refundable. The Application Fees for different Membership Routes are stated as follows:
- i. Examination Route – 3,000NGN (NYSC Members – 1,500NGN)
- ii. HR Practitioners Route – 5,000NGN
- iii. Executive Route – 10,000NGN
Confirmation of Payment
Applications shall not be processed until payment of Application Fees have been confirmed.